Published: June 12, 2014
Socialbakers has just acquired EdgeRank Checker, making it the second acquisition this year and our 5th historical acquisition (including Socialbrando, and a few others). Socialbakers has closed a $26 million C funding round from Index Ventures (& Earlybird) back in January, and we are ready to take on the next wave of companies. We are in talks with several companies to buy or merge with more of them. This is a calling that we can definitely do more!
We think at Socialbakers we are building an amazing company, we now have over 2700 customers (look at our YouTube channel for client case studies), we have 13 offices (Prague, Pilsen, Split, London, New York City, Singapore, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Munich, Paris, San Francisco, Dubai, Istanbul – ordered by the number of people in these offices) in 11 countries. We are not only building an analytics company for social, but we are building a company that can take intelligence from social media and help brands do better customer care, managing a crisis, media monitoring, and other things. Our data is being used for far more than just measuring social media marketing performance.
Of course, we are looking to build great products internally, but at the same time we would like to grow some of the things we do not have, because the opportunity is almost limitless. You would be surprised what Socialbakers has built over the last 5 years, I can guarantee that.
Now more technically: There are 2 sizes of companies we are looking for:
- Small companies / Acq-hire – Great team, beginning of a product, probably non-proven, <$10-30.000 of monthly revenue
- Mid-size to big companies – Acquisition/Merger – Anyone starting at $500.000 of yearly revenue up to $5 million in yearly revenue.
The aspects that are key for us in evaluation:
- Proven SaaS (Software as a Service) model
- Existing happy customers
- Good product that delivers and does what it says it does with a solid technological foundation
- Product is very beneficial / Complementary to what we have today, and serves a valuable purpose for a client
- Great team – ultimately, we will be working with you guys for some time to come
- Anywhere from little to very solid revenues – the smaller the revenue, the deeper the review will be around product and team
Even though most of our acquisition focus is in Europe (Czech, Poland, Croatia, Germany, and others), we just bought a company from Chicago in the U.S., and we are talking to several players in South America and Asia, and we are not limiting ourselves geographically, its about finding the right team to work with.
What can you be expecting after an acquisition:
- We make sure the founders get a vested interest in building their part of the business as well as build out Socialbakers itself, we always want to keep the entire team, thats actually a condition for us on any acquisitions.
- We continue building out your product and also figure out how it fits and integrates with the Socialbakers suite of products
- We build the product together and offer it to a much wider base of users that we have now, like we are doing now with EdgeRank Checker
We are trying to find the best and brightest companies out there and make sure that together, we can create value thats bigger than one we provide today together. Many of the businesses we have spoken to thought they can surely make it on their own. I am also sure many of them could make it on their own, but together, we not only increase the value, but increase the potential upside (Scale of clients, solidity of business) and decrease the risk (We are already big enough).
I really hope we can work together. Ping me a message on LinkedIn and let me know if you are interested, or just keep building your business and let us know when the right time comes to talk.